Welcome to my Blog

A warm welcome to my Blog

I shall post some news of interest to Sri lankans about life in Sri Lanka in the period 1950-1960 mainly. This will feature articles on music, general history and medicine. I am dedicated to humanism and refuse to judge people according to labels they are born with. Their actions and behaviour shall be my yardsticks, always cognizant of the challenges they faced in life.

Tuesday 5 August 2014

On my Birthday in May 2014


This day I reach three scores and ten
A time for reflection
A time to be grateful
A time to be thankful
My parents first and foremost
Because of their unstinted love and direction, I am what I am today
My family, immediate and distant, my relatives from all sides
My friends, young and old, near and far, without barriers

To Lord Buddha who made sense of this World to me
and taught me not to be avaricious, rein in desires,
and to try and foster Universal loving kindness to all beings,
and to be aware of impermanence and change.

My Teachers who shaped my enquiring mind,
and helped me to become a good citizen ( I hope)
My colleagues for their understanding, friendship and tolerance
My patients for trusting me and giving me a sense of purpose in life
To my students who taught me so much

To the woman I loved and married
for happy memories and two wonderful sons

To those who may not have liked me
For teaching me how to practise true love
for loving your friends is easy,
but loving your “enemy” is harder
For all this I am truly grateful


And thank you so much
To all those who sent me good wishes today

And to all those who didn’t but felt so in their hearts.

1 comment:

  1. I visited your Blog today, Mahendra, and read this poem which I have read before. It brings so much reflection and gratitude in the hearts of all who read it as it applies to us all. We should all reflect as you did and breathe a silent prayer of thanks to those beautiful people who have featured in our lives. Thanks for reminding me.
    Zita

    ReplyDelete

If you do not have a gmail account, please select your profile from the "Comment as", choose Anonymous from the pick list which appears when you click on the little arrows by the side of the select profile box.