Welcome to my Blog

A warm welcome to my Blog

I shall post some news of interest to Sri lankans about life in Sri Lanka in the period 1950-1960 mainly. This will feature articles on music, general history and medicine. I am dedicated to humanism and refuse to judge people according to labels they are born with. Their actions and behaviour shall be my yardsticks, always cognizant of the challenges they faced in life.

Monday 27 April 2020

More thought on Beliefs

We all arrive at our own conclusions by studying "the evidence". As far as the Universe is concerned, currently, we don't fully understand its workings and the laws that operate within it. If we have successfully cracked that puzzle, that would be evident and there will be only one accepted TRUTH. In our current state of knowledge, we have to study whatever is being put forward as arguments/evidence and make a  decision whether to accept, reject or be non-committal.

Speaking in general terms, beliefs are either rational, irrational or non-rational and the categorisation is ultimately very personal. Some would consider a belief which is not rational as irrational, i.e., apply binary thinking. I favour the idea that if it is not rational it is not necessarily irrational but could be considered as non-rational. For example, belief in an all-powerful, all-merciful God who created the Universe and man is irrational to me but I concede that for some it is rational and for yet others, it is non-rational and not irrational.

We seek answers and come to our own conclusions aware of our own limitations but in the process, we learn and gain a greater understanding of ourselves, of others and of our world.

I remain an atheistic humanist with an agnostic slant if you like, the latter because I am willing to admit that as a mere human being my views may prove to be incorrect, very personal, just as the beliefs that others find compelling to them (although I cannot accept them).

I believe in morality as a characteristic that is evolutionary in origin. It makes sense to me that attributes such as cooperation, love, empathy have survival value and is seen widely in the animal kingdom. In humans, it predates religion and I reject the notion of some that we are moral because of religion. The argument goes that religions make us moral either through concern about the rewards or the "punishments" that result from actions (the concept of "cumulative merit" or  "pleasing God") through a mixture of hope and fear. These arise from the inculcation of moral values based on religion in our cultural upbringing.  I am the first to admit that there are many instances where religion has contributed to good in societies, although I can also show many instances where religion has caused harm. 

I have no reason to believe in a life after death and even if there was, I haven't even the faintest of recollection of such a life myself nor do I know a single person who does. I know I have a "personality" (some may call it "self") which is changing every moment.  I fail to understand how "I" am advised to escape from this unsatisfactory existence where somehow "I " doesn't exist to some sort of existence where I am non-existent and which I must accept on the basis of faith.

I don't understand "time" completely but I do believe that the pyramids existed, that the fossil remains is evidence of an evolutionary process and that I had progeny. I don't think that all this is a figment of my imagination or "constructed " through the power of light (photons).  I do accept that we are limited in our ability to perceive the true nature of the outside world because we are reliant on our senses and we use the very organ (the brain) in trying to understand the brain. While I agree that what I perceive and "see" outside of me is an interpretation which is unique to me, it is also unique to all others, it doesn't make it an illusion. The desk I see may be different to each person but its geographical location is the same for all, as an example. In other words, the desk which is itself formed of elementary particles and waves assembles into something real which although real, will remain interpreted differently. The appreciation of reality is certainly subjective.

My way of thinking makes me a moral and social being who respects human nature as we are one family striving to lead lives which are as comforting as possible in the interval between birth and death. My beliefs promote human harmony without dangers arising from religious dogma. My belief promotes curiosity and examination of facts rather than blind acceptance. My belief removes the anxiety that arises from speculation on the quality of an afterlife. My belief also values the Planet we live in and our efforts to sustain it. But our cultural upbringing and exposure to belief systems continue to have a major influence on our "inner thinking". As  I was brought up as a Buddhist, I still entertain doubts about my reasoned rejection of an afterlife, just as some of my Christian born friends who now don't accept God, still have "inner voices" that God does exist. 

As you can see, all of us ultimately make judgments on what we accept or believe. From the point of view of a safe world to live in, blind faith is OK if it can be guaranteed that it would not harm the person or the community they live in, but sadly, this is far from the truth. None of us can rely entirely on Science as Science is evolving all the time. Science by its very nature is humble enough to state that its theories are the best explanation in the current state of knowledge and is open to revision in the light of new evidence. Religious believers who try to use currently accepted scientific theories to justify their beliefs are building sandcastles on a beach.

Life is ultimately a personal affair. What to accept, what to reject, what to remain open about. I know I will NEVER fathom the workings of the entire universe but I feel confident that the answers will emerge slowly through the scientific method, which remains the only credible method of pursuing inquiry. I can't see any reason for seeking spiritual answers as they just complicate matters where our understanding is still lacking. Mental illness is a classic example the cause of which was explained by - "possessed by the devil", "punished by God or gods". We now know better. There are many examples of harmful effects arising from the acceptance of blind faith;  exemplary humans made to feel guilty and take the blame on themselves for some action supposedly carried out in a previous existence of which he has no recollection, unfortunate sufferers from economic or medical conditions being told that it is all because of indiscretions in a past life. These attitudes stunt human understanding and compassion

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you do not have a gmail account, please select your profile from the "Comment as", choose Anonymous from the pick list which appears when you click on the little arrows by the side of the select profile box.